Yes, you read that right. RED. VELVET. BROWNIES.
I made these for my boss’ birthday, and every day since my coworkers have sneaked a peak in my lunch bag to see if I have anymore. I’m pretty pumped with the brownie points (pun intended) I got for these, especially given the fact that my boss’ boss won’t stop talking about them.
The pictures in the post are from two instances I made these, once in a square 8×8 Pyrex and once in a 15×10 rectangular one. For the 15×10, I doubled the recipe. I really only needed about 1.5 batches now that I think about it.
But seriously these are unreal! The consistency of a brownie, with the richness of red velvet. I do recommend cutting them on the smaller side since they are very rich.
I feel like they’re the perfect special occasion treat. They have that special punch that really sets them aside. I especially love them around Christmas time due to their color!
8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup sugar + 3 tbsp
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla, divided
1 tbsp red food coloring (I try to use gel based)
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white vinegar
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
8oz cream cheese, softened
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8×8 inch baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Grease with a bit of butter or vegetable oil
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your melted butter with 1 cup of sugar, cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp vanilla, salt, and food coloring. Stir until combined well. After it’s well mixed, add the vinegar.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs before stirring them into the brownie batter in the large bowl. Once well combined, begin to fold in the flour. Make sure you don’t over fold the flour, stop as soon as it’s well combined.
- Pour your batter into the lined pan, reserving about 1/4 of the batter for the top.
- Set up your stand mixer with the whisk attachment, but don’t worry if you don’t have one, a hand-held works great too! Blend together the cream cheese, 3 tbsp of sugar, 1/2 tsp of vanilla, and egg yolk.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over your brownie batter in evenly, then dollop the remaining brownie batter on top. Use a sharp knife/tooth pic to swirl the cream cheese into the brownie batter making a marble effect.
- Bake for about 30 minutes. Let cook before you cut. Enjoy!